22 May 2009

PERCEPTIONS

Three months since my last blog, as I have been very busy dealing with an employer that appears to have taken complete leave of its senses, pre-occupied with Thistle's ultimately unsuccessful promotion push, Campaigning across the whole of South West, and of course helping with preparations with my forthcoming wedding.

I have been meaning to post for a few weeks now, however, my opponent for Glasgow South West has given me the ultimate inspiration. I am not going to attack Ian Davidson for his individual expenses claims which have featured in the media, as that is a matter for him. However, he has got it completely wrong with his comments in the Scotsman regarding the new Interim Expenses arrangements. To suggest that "He wishes he had a larger mortgage so he could claim more in allowances" sends the wrong signal in the current expenses crisis.

Politics is often about perception, and at this moment many members of the public think that Westminster politicians are on the take. Suggesting you wish you had a larger mortgage only re-enforces that view. In all the telegraph coverage on expenses the real scandal is the property "flipping" i.e. pocketing the profits of a sold house which the public paid the interest for, and then buying another property.

What has to come from this morass, is more accountability. In that spirit, I have decided that if I am given the honour of being elected, I will rent a property, and publish my expense claims so voters can judge for themselves if they are getting value for money.

There must be a general election soon, so that people can express their verdict on the Westminster system, and to restore confidence.

No comments: